Friday, January 3, 2014

Grade 3: Ships

I LOVE the wonderfully executed water and the focus on the subject.
Last month, my third graders and I discussed the paintings of American landscape painter Winslow Homer and the significance of clipper ships (the greyhounds of the sea) in American history.
After drawing the ships and deciding how they wanted their sails to look and what accessories to add in, my students enjoyed blending chalk pastels in the backgrounds to create a sky and the water.
We used watercolor primarily to create "faux" wood.. The idea for this project came from a piece of art that I saw in the TCNJ k-12 Art, Innovation and Ideas exhibit that Bear Tavern was selected for last spring.
More student work to come!



"Breezing Up" 1873-1876 oil on canvas



No comments:

Post a Comment