Sunday, October 6, 2013

Grade 4: Batik for the PSO

The Princeton Symphony Orchestra (PSO) invited us to create art for a family series performance that they held this month on the Princeton University campus.
The Education Coordinator, Carol Burden, is wonderful to work with and I am so glad to have had the chance to participate. 
We were sent the book "The Great Migration" which is a story accompanied by American painter, Jacob Lawrence's paintings from his Migration series. As we read through the book and looked at his work, we identified his landscapes and the story he was telling about The Great Migration via his paintings depicting travel.
My students created their own batik landscapes and depictions of travel for this project. I hadn't done a batik project in a little while so it was quite fun to share this process with my love bugs.
The 70 or so batiks will be hanging in Pennington for a few weeks. I have to say, I can't wait to get them back and stare at them.








draw!
crumple!
paint!

rinse!





6 comments:

  1. Can you please share your process? I would love to do this with my students! I love the connection to Jacob Lawrence. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun! On white drawing paper, the kids drew a landscape or a scene inspired by Jacob Lawrence's 'Great Migration" series. Next up was Sharpie followed by using crayons to boldly fill in the entire page. Crumple, open, crumple the paper. Paint the paper using tempera. Rinse off the paint at the sink and leave to dry. The paint stays in the cracks giving the batik effect.
    Try it out- lots of fun!
    Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I would like to try this with my students. Do you let the tempera dry before you rinse it?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to let dry! Paint on and rinse off. The kids will want to paint the entire paper well so that all of the cracks are covered and then just hold the paper under the faucet :)

      Delete
  4. I would like to try this with my students. Do you let the tempera dry before you rinse it?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome! Is the tempera paint watered down?

    ReplyDelete