Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Grade 1: Marvelous Cezanne Paintings

There are times that it is impossible to contain my excitement over the art my students create, their wonderful creativity and the formulas for using art materials we come up with at the demo table. (see * below)

Chase


As my first graders finished up this project, I was overwhelmed with admiration, excitement, accomplishment, and a million other feelings. I stood there in the middle of the room beaming and mumbling how amazing the paintings were coming out...for a good 8-12 minutes. I just could not move past the beauty they had created. Here I go again.

Jeff 
These paintings were done much earlier this fall, but I kept forgetting to photograph them.
It is a spin I made on a project I viewed online.

I taught my 1st graders how to draw a large bowl sitting on a table and then how to fill the bowl with apples so that the apples were in the bowl and not floating. We used tempera paint and watercolor to make them the fantastic masterpieces that they are!

* At the demo table as I am explaining the project, how to use supplies, often a student will ask if they can use the materials a bit differently. Sometimes, the idea is genius or something I should have thought of and I call it a genius moment. These genius moments or just talking through the thoughts the kids have can enhance how we use the materials to our advantage.

10 comments:

  1. Love this project. Plan to use it as my 1st grade Art Show project next year. Thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you provide any more details on how you instructed the painting so they didn't mix everything? Are the apples tempera? I am new and these are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy,
      The bowl and apples are outlined in oil pastel to create a barrier. After drawing the bowl and apples, the kids did the outlining. we painted the apples red and once dry, the kids used liquid watercolors to paint the entire background! Link back to art rocks And let me know how it goes!! Have a great year :) joslyn

      Delete
  3. Hi, just wanted to say thank you for your excellent post. I stumbled across your art project and it looked perfect for the display I was asked to do at school (London). Completed it today with ny Year 2 class (30 6/7year olds) and the outcome was superb! Thank you! Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are GREAT!! I'm going to try it with my special needs students! What type of paper did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are super cool!! I'm going to do it with my special ed kids. What type of paper did you use??

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! Thank you for taking the time to share. I homeschool my 3 boys and am always looking for art projects to do with them. So happy I happened upon you page. I will be sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what size and type of m,paper did you use? also which part is watercolor and which is tempera paints? thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this project!!! This is so great!!!

    ReplyDelete